Manoa DNA to launch ‘Wildest Show' zoo series
That summertime favorite, the twilight “Wildest Show in Town” series, will be launched June 9 at Honolulu Zoo, with Manoa DNA as the first in a 10-week humpday tradition.
The popular midweek showcase, coordinated by Roy Sakuma and happening every Wednesday from June 9 through Aug. 11, will feature popular Island Hawaiian, ‘ukulele, jazz and comedy acts. Also, there will be weekly ‘ukulele give-aways for the public.
Folks come for the pau-hana fun, bringing in their own dinner bentos or buying from vendors, to enjoy informal concerts in the zoo setting. Early arrivals may visit some of the zoo exhibits as the sun sets — a time when some of the animals are at their friskiest best.
Gates open at 4:35 p.m., five minutes after the usual 4:30 p.m. zoo closing, and a $3 admission donation is payable at the gate.
Programs begin at 6 p.m.
• June 9 — Manoa DNA, with KoAloha ‘ukulele give-away.
• June 16 — Roy Sakuma’s Super Keiki & Friends; KoAloha.
• June 23 — Ten Feet, Kala.
• June 30 — John Cruz, Pono/Kala.
• July 7 — Pali, KoAloha.
• July 14 — Herb “Ohta-San” Ohta, KoAloha, Kala.
• July 21 — The Surfaris, Pono.
• July 28 ¬ — Holunape, Kamaka/Kala.
• Aug. 4 — Frank DeLima, Kanilea.
• Aug. 11 — Jimmy Borges and his Jazz All Stars,