Many questions after the ‘Five-0’ blowout
With the expected announcement Wednesday (May18) that CBS will pick up “Hawaii Five-0” for a second season, the series and its characters are caught between expectation and anxiety, surprise and satisfaction, and rest and recuperation.
But this week’s finale (May 16) likely will be the tone and timbre of season two’s launch.
There were indications that the last installment of the freshman season would shock and please, but there was unexpected death and expected denial, played out like a grenade with the pin off. In the end, there was schrapnel and fallout — literal and figurative — spewed hither and yon.
But lots of questions in the aftermath along with assumptions about the fall return:
• How will Steve McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin) retain his cred and get out of jail?
• Was Governor Jameson (Jean Smart) in cahoots with Wo Fat (Mark Dascoscas) leading to her death?
• Was the gov’s demise influenced by reality, since our real gov was a woman till the last election, suggesting a guy gov bow this fall?
• What kind of security prevails at the gov’s mansion (OK, in the show, it’s Washington Place, now a museum, with the gov’s quarters in the back, but unmentioned and unused). As great at sleuthing McG might be (being an ex-SEAL and all), he outwitted and out-fought a handful of the gov’s protectors, who were virtually useless Nio wonder the state has moolah problems, it overhires.
• We know how McG entered the gov’s place – he had the punch-in security code, but does it every change? How did Wo Fat make his entrance?
• Can Chin Ho Kelly (Daniel Dae Kim) be trusted, after saying H50 was his life, since he bailed out and returned to the Honolulu Police Department (as a lieutenant, no less), since the smudge on his rep was erased?
• Is Chin’s switcheroo a setup, so he can assist McG from that side of the fence in the opener of season two?
• What’s the motive to jail Kono Kalakaua (Grace Park), who is taking the fall for her cuz, Chin, in the money-disappearing (and reappearing) dilemma in season one?
• How come Laura Hills (Kelly Hu) was killed in the car bombing? Wasn’t hers to be a recurring role?
• Hasn’t Danno Williams (Scott Caan) evolved as the best wedge of this procedural pie? And the loyalist to McG, despite the bickering. Will Emmy call again?
• With Danno’s ex Rachel (Claire Van Der Boom) preggie, and returning to New Jersey with daughter Grace (Teillor Grubbs), will she have an expanded role next fall?
• Is Hawaiian Airlines eyeing a direct flight to Newark? That’s the flight mom and daughter boarded to get home; said so at the boarding gate.
• Why didn’t the writers work in a final “Book ’em Danno” in the finale script? Too infrequent.
• Elvis, singing “Ke Kali Nei Au,” via “Blue Hawaii” on TV? Was the whole shoot-;em, fool ‘ em antics just a dream, after Rachel leaves Danno following a tryst, and he wakes up at the start of the new season and the same-old, same-old continues?
Surely, you must have your own questions and theories about the “Five-0” buzz this week. Share ’em here...