By Wayne Harada
“Wildest Show in Town,” the summertime “humpday” twilight family favorite at Honolulu Zoo, will launch a 10-week run June 12.
Organizer Roy Sakuma, who also presents the annual Ukulele Festival at Kapiolani Park Bandstand, has lined up an array of community talent for the Wednesday sunset shindig amid the animal popular at the zoo.
The format showcases singers, musicians and recording faves, in genres tapping Hawaiian, jazz, pop, Latin, and ukulele. Each week, residents and visitors alike will assemble and bring or buy their dinnertime meals, to soak in the music and camaraderie. Each week, there will be a drawing for a Kala soprano ukulele for children under 12.
So haul out your datebook, get out your picnic basket and log in one or more of these “Wildest” dates.
• June 12 — Kapena. Ukulele giveaway by Ko’olau Pono and Kanilea Islander Ukulele.
• June 19 — Roy Sakuma and His Super Keikis. Ukulele giveaway by KoAloha and Kala Ukulele.
• June 26 — The Dukes of Surf. Ukulele giveaway by KoAloha and Ko’olau Pono Ukulele.
• July 3 — Holunape. Ukulele giveaway by Kamaka Ukulele.
• July 10 — Manoa DNA. Ukulele giveaway by KoAloha Ukulele.
• July 17— Ohta-san and Nando Suan. Plus ukulele groups from around the world. Ukulele giveaway by Ko’olau Pono and KoAloha Ukulele.
• July 24— Rolando Sanchez and Salsa Hawaii. Ukulele giveaway by Kala Ukulele.
• July 31 — Nelly and Daniel Baduria. Ukulele giveaway by KoAloha Ukulele.
• Aug. 7 — Jimmy Borges and His Jazz All Stars. Ukulele giveaway by Kala Ukulele.
• Aug. 14 — Na Leo Pilimehana. Ukulele giveaway by Ko’olau Pono Ukulele.
‘WILDEST SHOW IN TOWN’
At Honolulu Zoo
6 p.m. Wednesdays, June 12 through Aug. 14; gates open at 4:35 p.m.
$3 at the door