By Wayne Harada
Michelle Borth, Alex O'Loughlin on CBS' "Hawaii Five-0:" While she bid aloha at the end of Season 4, should Borth as Catherine return again as a recurring character/love-interest for Steve McGarrett?
With CBS’ “Hawaii Five-0” poised to launch Season 5 filming in July, the show’s writers already are at work to produce new scripts.
Four are aboard the creative team to create about 24 episodes, led by script coordinator Sue Palmer whose team includes Kenny Kyle, Sarah Byrd and Akeba Gaddis.
Mum’s the word, of course, on the specifics of the plots but the storylines will embrace the “Five-0” team including Alex O’Loughlin as Steve McGarrett, Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho Kelly, Scott Caan as Danny “Danno” Williams and Grace Park as Kono Kalakaua.
This will be the first season that the series will be headquartered at the Hawaii Film Studios on the slopes of Diamond Head. While a fall kick-off is yet to be formally announced, the show will return to the Friday lineup at 8 p.m. Hawaii time (9 p.m. Mainland), preceding CBS’ “Blue Bloods” starring Tom Selleck, the network’s previous “Magnum P.I.” headliner.
No word yet if the traditional Sunset on the Beach premiere screening, on the beach at Waikik, will be a go.
The show’s treasury of characters has enlarge and expanded over the four seasons, with recurring secondary characters anchored in story arcs that likely will continue, hopefully with less frequency and with a better sense of reality.
Here are five things we’d like to see:
- The return of the Catherine Rollins character played by Michelle Borth. Surely, her part was magnified in the brief absence of actress Park, whose real-life motherhood was shielded in an on-the-lam story tapping her on-screen boyfriend. The likelihood of Borth’s return seems logical: she was not killed off, audiences adored her, depending on what she might land on TV, she just may be the trump card “Five-0” needs somewhere during the season. Further, McG has no object of his affection going into the new season.
- Shelve Doris McGarrett (Christine Lahti), mother of McG, and retired Navy commander Joe White (Terry O’Quinn), who brought aboard more luggage and despair in their cloudy, confused demeanors, triggering far too many loose ends and conspiracy theories. Each time either returned, there was clutter and tangle to impede the “Five-0” storytelling rhythm. Pau, already.
- Wo Fat, now disfigured, also has outlived his usefulness as McG’s nemesis; let him disappear, too, to some destination. If the series needs him in its hip pocket, he could be summoned back. And please: do we need segments on Wo Fat’s mother and father, to fill in the blanks of his family tree? Fans of actor Mark Decascos can still view him as The Chairman on The Food Network’s “Iron Chef, ” after all.
- Eliminate those far-flung reaches with foreign destination storylines; Borth’s dedication, to seek a conclusion and closure in an Afghan segment in the Season 4 finale, was a whimper of a finish for the show — not a ratings leader. Indeed, the tale was as drab as the desert landscape. Shelve, too, any intention to fly a chopper to Korea for McG (remember?) — if there’s a foreign tie, at least make it believable.
- Build up the secondary figures in the “Five-0” ohana; Chi McBride, as SWAT ace Lou Grover; has found his niche and audience base, from a competitor/foe of McG, to a buddy-buddy; Jorge Garcia, as conspiracy theorist Jerry Ortega, has built-in oddity to hold interest and command, with equal parts seriousness and comedy — in short, he brings extra value and creds; Dennis Chun, as Officer Duke Lukela in the Honolulu Police Department, continues to land meatier roles thanks to his symbolic. historic tie to the original Jack Lord “Five-0,” where his late dad was Kam Fong Chun who originated the Chin Ho Kelly role; Kamekona (Taylor Wily), the shrimp truck operator, is in an awkward place, recurring as a caricature of local culture and manners so if he continues, the writers should instill dignity and humanity to his presence.
Is this too much to ask for, for Season 5?